Online slots sure are changing over the years, but two symbols that tend to stick around are Wild cards and Scatter symbols. Some will have both gaming symbols, some may only have one, some may even have none of them! But most will have at least one. When it boils down to the crunch both can be equally as valuable to you, but let’s take a look at how they differ.
What is a Scatter Symbol?
If you’re already an expert in the world of online slots, you’ll know how these work; but if you’re not, you’re probably wondering – what does Scatter even mean? The scatter definition can vary from slot to slot, but one thing that usually remains the same is how valuable it is to you.
A scatter’s primary function is to trigger either a Free Spin feature or a Bonus Game. A scatter is usually active, which means you’ll need to land them on a payline simultaneously in order for the feature to be triggered. Some scatter slots will require 3 or more of the symbols, whilst others may only require two.
A scatter symbol’s primary function is to trigger Free Spins or a Bonus Game.
Now another perk of the scatter symbol is its actual coin value on the paytable. Scatter slot games may give you a payout for at least two scatters with a maximum payout for 5 scatters. However, not all slots will have the scatter as a paying symbol, so it’s important to always check the paytable to avoid disappointment.
What is a Wild Symbol?
Probably one of the most common game symbols you’ll see is a Wild card, but what does wild mean? A wild icon is another extremely valuable symbol and its primary function is to act as any other symbol in order to create a winning combination. However, wilds will never substitute as a scatter symbol. Wilds can also form their own combinations to award you with higher wins.
Wild slots are certainly not hard to find and the wild symbol can also vary from slot to slot, as the newer generation games will have different kinds of wild symbols, all with their own separate feature. Here are some of the ones to look out for when you’re playing different casino games with wild symbols:
- Shifting Wilds – A Shifting Wild will usually appear on the last reel and move one space in any direction on the next spin. Sometimes, this can happen until the wild falls off the reels on the other side.
- Wandering Wilds – The symbol is very similar to a Shifting Wild, although this one has a little bit more freedom. It can usually appear on any reel and move to another one during the next spin.
- Sticky Wilds – These symbols can be very useful as they usually mean you get multiple chances to win. If you get a Sticky Wild, in most cases, it will stick to the reels and give you another spin. If more Sticky Wilds appear, they also stick to the reels and give more spins. Ultimately, it can produce a lot of spins with a screen full of Sticky Wilds which will result in a big fat wad of cash.
- Trailing Wilds – Since these symbols can often be found as part of a bonus feature, Trailing Wilds will do exactly as it says on the tin! It will leave a trail of Wilds on every spin, adding more cash to your wins.
- Expanding Wilds – Quite possibly the most valuable one of all is an Expanding Wild! Some wilds will start as a usual symbol, but when stopping on a reel will then expand to fill the entire reel. Some games will allow this to happen on every active reel. So, if you land an Expanding Wild symbol on reels 1, 2 and 3 – you’re pretty much guaranteed a big win.
How to Find Games with Scatter Symbols
Like we said earlier, it’s not hard to find a game that will contain Scatter Symbols. In fact, some of the most well-known games in the industry have them, take Immortal Romance Slot for an example. Hitting 5 Scatter symbols or 5 Wild Symbols is one of the hardest achievements you can unlock in the game, but remember nothing is impossible and patience can definitely pay off when it comes to this game.
Other games include the Quickspin’s Divine Dreams Slot, NetEnt’s Turn Your Fortune Slot and Dead or Alive Slot, famously known for offering a chance to hit 5 scatters and huge payouts!
So, if you land an Expanding Wild symbol on reels 1, 2 and 3 – you’re pretty much guaranteed a big win. With everything being said, there’s a clear difference between these two symbols. Each is extremely beneficial for you, but hacing one without the other is okay too! what’s important is that you are familiar with the rules of the game you are playing. And how do you make sure you do that? By checking the paytable.
Final Few Words
With everything being said, there’s a clear difference between these two symbols. Each is extremely beneficial for you, but having one without the other is okay too! What’s important is that you are familiar with the rules of the game you’re playing. And how do you make sure you do that? By checking the paytable.